Campaign to Fix the Debt at the New York Stock Exchange
Today, our own CRFB President Maya MacGuineas, rang the Opening Bell at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) to convene trading for the day, joined by CEOs supporting the Fix the Debt Campaign. With the fiscal cliff on the horizon, business leaders have plenty of reasons to be concerned about this year, and much more down the road if our unsustainable debt is not dealt with soon.
The debt crisis is not just a Washington issue; it is a Wall Street and Main Street issue too. MacGuineas explained: "One of the reasons you're seeing business leaders step into this is because they understand that this isn't a partisan issue. This is a problem that's well known and we need to come together to fix it."
MacGuineas was joined at the podium by:
- Thomas Quinlan, CEO and President, R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company
- David Cote, Chairman and CEO, Honeywell
- George Paz, Chairman and CEO, Express Holding Company
- Nicolas Calio, CEO and President, Airlines for America
- Paul Stebbins, Chairman and CEO, World Fuel Services Corporation
- Daniel Glaser, Group President and COO, Marsh & McLennan Companies
- Former Senator Judd Gregg, Co-Chair of the Campaign to Fix the Debt
- Steven Rattner, lead auto advisor in the United States Treasury Department under President Barack Obama, and Steering Committee member for the Campaign to Fix the Debt
- Rob Foregger, Co-Founder, Citizens Petition to Fix the Debt
Video of the Opening Bell can be viewed below: