Event: Opportunities for Lowering Health Care Costs
Policymakers in both parties have been working toward new solutions to address high prescription drug prices, surprise medical billing, and the rising cost of health care for families, businesses, and the federal government.
To build on these efforts, the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget and West Health Policy Center recently launched the Health Savers Initiative, a collaborative research project to develop bold policy solutions to lower health care costs.
Our event discussed these and other issues and featured Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Ranking Member Ron Wyden (D-OR), Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH), and two panels of experts.
- Maya MacGuineas, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Opening Keynote Speakers:
- Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Senate Finance Committee
- Ranking Member Ron Wyden (D-OR), Senate Finance Committee
- Marc Goldwein, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Panel #1: Current Proposals to Lower Health Care Costs:
- Sarah Kliff, New York Times (Moderator)
- Tara O’Neill Hayes, American Action Forum
- Mark Miller, Arnold Ventures
- Loren Adler, USC-Brookings Schaeffer Initiative for Health Policy
- Gregory D’Angelo, White House Office of Management and Budget
Panel #2: New Ideas for Cost Containment
- Timothy Lash, West Health Policy Center (Moderator)
- Holly Harvey, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
- Michael Chernew, Harvard Medical School
- Niall Brennan, Health Care Cost Institute
- Chapin White, RAND Corporation
Closing Keynote Speaker:
- Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Senate Finance Committee and Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee